Developing a More Conscious Lifestyle
During the chaotic nature of life, it’s easy to become distracted and engulfed in day-to-day affairs. Every once in a while I feel a need to suspend all the buzz swirling around me and find a private sanctuary to curl up in for quiet contemplation.
Finances may feel important, but over obsessing about money is unbalanced and certainly not healthy. Whenever I feel overwhelmed in general, the following guidelines serve as gentle reminders which help bring things into greater perspective for me.
- Don’t only do what is convenient. Learn how to make a deeper commitment and take a more radical responsibility for yourself. Build integrity by exercising the values and ethics which are important to you.
- Recognize the Divine in others through practicing respect and love. Although everyone has their own needs, each are different but equal.
- During conflict, don’t be limited only to your needs. Step outside yourself to consider the needs of others in a more compassionate manner. This helps manifest a positive solution for all concerned.
- Eliminate manipulation through demands, threats and passive-aggressive behavior. Only take from others what they are willing to give freely, and accept others for who they are.
- Let go of Ego and practice simply being in each moment. Rather than trying to exert control over circumstances, learn instead how to become present.
- Healing begins from within. Treat your body well through exercise and a well-balanced diet rich in grains, fruits and vegetables. Drink plenty of water each day, the rich honey of life.
- Volunteer your time. Use your creativity and energy to motivate and help causes which are important to you.
- Recognize that everything has a limit; the day, the night, even one’s own energy and time. No matter how great one’s perceived wealth, there always exists an extent to which one may enjoy it. Feel grateful for and humbled by your current unique blessings.
- Ever catch yourself saying, “I just don’t have time” or “I wish I had time to”? Take responsibility by recognizing that everyone has the same amount of time in each day and ultimately you decide how that time is used. Choose productively and wisely how you wish to dedicate each precious moment.
- Incorporate a quiet meditative practice into your daily routine. Prolonged meditation sharpens focus and enables you to think well, while awakening new levels of the Divine Self. Recent empirical studies are now recognizing how continued meditation physically enlarges and alters our brain.
The Harvard Gazette, Meditation Found to Increase Brain Size
The Washington Post, Meditation Gives Brain A Charge
- Take the time to properly honor all the small steps leading up to where you want to be. Don’t miss the beauty of the journey, as each step is equally fulfilling and significant.
- Experience temporary sensory deprivation. Try fasting, taking an hour long vow of silence, or wearing a blindfold or earplugs for an extended period of time. This will enhance awareness of both body and breath, bring perspective and allow you to develop a deeper appreciation for each sensory organ.
- Change is inevitable and everything is constantly influx. Use this wisdom to react less to personal inner dramas and focus more on acceptance and being present.
- Instead of dismissing or burying negative emotion, become aware of fear, worry and discomfort to fully observe and experience it. This helps bring perspective and heightened awareness as you begin to understand the root causes of these emotions.
- Obtaining financial peace of mind means allowing your wealth to absorb unexpected expenses. Obsessing and fretting over financial situations which do not directly affect day-to-day situations sabotages this entire concept. As Marshall Glickman states in his book The Mindful Money Guide, “Getting into a tizzy about a small misfortune undermines the whole point of having any fortune [at all].”
- Take action. Don’t feel discouraged if progress feels slow. Just as a toddler learns how to walk one step at a time, it’s taking that baby step which is most crucial.
Baby Steps Are Key ~†~ Explore your unique purpose in life and discover what fills your heart with joy. There is never a better time to live fully and with integrity than right now.
Sayings of the Wise
Drip by drip, a cup gets filled. -Unknown
“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand – and melting like a snowflake…”
(Francis Bacon, 1561 – 1626)
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” -Amelia Earhart
The Master once offered a banana to an awestruck visitor who so venerated the gift that he hardly knew what to do with it. When the Master was told of this, he said characteristically, “Tell the silly ass to eat it.”
-Awakening, Conversations with the Masters by Anthony de Mello
Compare prices and read helpful product reviews to make smart buying easy through Ciao! – Price Comparison and Product Reviews for the savvy shopper.